Although most of the community residents were of meager means, they were able to construct the church through their devout belief and faith, much hope, determination and prayer. With a sawdust floor, wooden slab benches and windows, and a door at each end of the building, they began their worship. The baptismal pool was located about three blocks behind the church in a wooded area across the railroad tracks. It was a 4' X 6' wooden structure with steps around a steady stream of spring water. The first pastor was the Rev. Robert E. Saulters, the son-in-law of the Andersons. Services were held every other Sunday, as was the custom when ministers pastored two churches. Brother Frank Anderson was appointed the first Chairman of the Deacon Board, along with Deacons William Fair, William Warren, and Robert "Bob" Mack. Deacon Fair also served as the first Church Clerk. Sister Anderson became the "Mother of the Church" and served well until her death in 1935.
The Sunday school was established under the leadership of Rev. Saulters. Deacon Mack was its first superintendent. Mrs. Pearl Anderson became the second superintendent, and Mrs. Minnie Anderson was the Secretary - both daughters-in-law of Deacon Frank and Mrs. Anderson.
In 1917, Zion Canaan was rebuilt to become a more comfortable wooden frame building under the leadership of its second pastor, Rev. J.W. Williams. Rev. Williams served from 1915-1926.
Rev. A.P. Porter became the third pastor (1927-1941) and a new brick structure was erected in 1932. During his pastorate, the church grew spiritually and in membership.
A.P. McNeil became our fifth pastor (1951-53), during which time the Pearson Memorial Educational Building was erected in honor of the late Rev. M.P. Pearson (1952).
Under the spirit-filled leadership and guidance of our sixth pastor, Rev. M.C. Fennell, Zion Canaan grew spiritually and in membership. In his 37 years tenure, there were several structural renovations to the church and the educational buildings starting in 1970 and being completed by 1980.
In 1991, the Lord brought our seventh pastor, Rev. Bobby L. Smith, Sr. to Zion Canaan. Under his leadership, the sanctuary underwent complete renovation, and a new educational building was erected. The church became both an incorporated and a non-profit entity, and ministries were added.
Rev. Smith retired as the Shepherd of God's people after thirty (30) years of service, and in March 2023 the church welcomed and installed Rev. Eugene T. Miller as its 8th pastor. Under his leadership, the church completed the Bobby L. Smith Pavilion, named for our previous pastor, and is located on the grounds of Zion Canaan Baptist Church. Continuing under his guidance, Rev. Miller launched the church’s monthly Farmer’s Market, providing residents in the State Park community and surrounding areas with vendors who offer fresh produce and meats, baked goods and sweets, craft products, and more. In the short time he has been our pastor, the church membership has grown significantly.
By the grace of God and our continued focus on Him, Zion Canaan Baptist Church continues to mature spiritually and grow physically as His Word is preached and taught by the power of the Holy Ghost.
